In November 2013, Resolution Copper Mining, LLC (RCM) submitted the proposed General Plan of Operations (GPO) to the Tonto National Forest, to develop and mine a copper-molybdenum deposit. Tonto National Forest deemed the GPO to be complete in December 2014 - see Letter of Completion. A plan of operations is a Forest Service permit, which authorizes mining operations on national forest lands. The first step in the approval process for a plan of operations is submittal of a proposed plan of operations to the Forest Service. The Forest Service then analyzes the proposal and conducts a NEPA analysis. At this time, the GPO is just a proposal submitted by RCM. The final Plan of Operations will not be produced until the EIS is complete and the Record of Decision is signed by the Forest Supervisor.
The GPO represents the proposed action that will be analyzed in the environmental impact statement (EIS). Evaluation of modifications to this proposal and assessment of other alternatives is a fundamental part of the NEPA process and will also be part of the EIS.
The GPO was originally published in November 2013. The version appearing here represents the latest revised version of the GPO. A Final GPO will be prepared following publication of the Record of Decision to comply with any modifications determined to be necessary by the Forest Supervisor.
Resolution Copper Mining. 2016. General Plan of Operations, Resolution Copper Mining. Initial Submittal November 15, 2013; Revised May 9, 2016.
EIS Timeline - Feb 2019
- Public scoping period and scoping meetings
[5 meetings between Mar-Jun 2016; comment period extended from 60 days to 120 days, closed Jul 18, 2016 ]
- Compile and review existing data
- Prepare project description and identify project alternatives
We Are HereValidate Baseline Information; analyze environmental effects
Prepare Draft EIS
- Federal Register Notice of Availability of Draft EIS
- 90-day public review and comment period, with public meetings
- Respond to public comments and prepare Final EIS
- Federal Register Notice of Availability of Final EIS and Draft ROD
- 45-day Public Objection Period
- Resolve objections to Final EIS and draft ROD
- Issue Final Record of Decision